He sees you when you’re sleeping. He knows when you’re awake …
- Product Editions
- Interact with people
- Free lifetime local license
- SQL statements
- SaaS server
- Product Offerings
- Crash Dump Analysis
- Application Monitoring
- Data management
- In AWS
- More on cloud
What’s different with this introduction to Dynatrace is I provide a step-by-step hands-on approach to dive deep into the technology and its vendor. This is so you’re not stumbling around wasting time on high-level videos from salespeople. My commentaries are given “just-in-time” after you do each step.
ADK = Application Development Kit
APM = Application Performance Monitoring
AppMon = Application Performance
UEM = User Experience Management (product offering)
SLA = Service Level Agreements
Visit = a group of transactions performed by the same user over a defined time period.
PureModel = PurePath + PureStack
PurePath monitors horizontally across the server tiers
PureStack dives into the vertical infrastructure
There are different editions for the Development Team, Test Center, and Production:
The product that enables “Shift-Left” is one that enables identification of performance issues during development.
Interact with people
Listen to podcasts:
Ask a question of pre-sales:
Register and attend live webinars at:
View past webinars
Ways to meet other users:
Joing and attend Meetups:
Subscribe, then meet people at the annual conference each Feburary in Vegas:
Have Dynatrace salespeople look at your Purepath file:
CAUTION: Many enterprises are fearful of releasing data outside the corporate firewall. Check with your Security people before sending the file out.
Look through their GitHub source repositories:
Free lifetime local license
The following focusing on analysis of server applications running locally on your laptop.
QUESTION: Is there a package to Homebrew for Mac and Chocolatey for Windows?
Register for download at:
PROTIP: My Gmail address was accepted in the “Business email” field.
Confirm email subject “Please confirm your Dynatrace Trial account”.
NOTE: The public face of Dynatrace is Andreas Grabner (<a target=”_blank” href=”https://twitter.com/@grabnerandi”@grabnerandi</a>, email@example.com, https://github.com/grabnerandi
The US address of Dynatrace is 404 Wyman Street - Suite 500, Waltham, MA 02451
Dynatrace has offices in Detroit, Michigan, Linz, Austria, and Gdańsk, Poland.
Click Register and Start Trial.
WARNING: You can’t get back to this page again?
Get the license from email “Your Dynatrace trial license” file such as:
NOTE: The video mentioned in the email (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ycuNlYUl9E) What is Dynatrace AppMon and How to Get Started – January 2016
PROTIP: Run a Dockerized image in a server (in a cloud) because that’s how production will work. And it won’t muck up your local machine’s settings and disk space.
NOTE: The Github home for Dynatrace is:
If you want to do it the hard way and install locally, click the operating system icon to download installer.
OS File Ver. Size Mac dynatrace-full-darwin-x86.jar 6.5 995.8 MB Windows dynatrace- 6.5 995.8 MB
PROTIP: If you want to keep installers, find out the version and add it to the file name. You would need to keep installers for vetting by corporate Security.
Security-conscious enterprises have their people download from a vetted repository such as an internal Artifactory or Nexus rather than direct download because changes by the vendor (or someone pretending to be them) can have security problems.
- Use Mac Archiver utility to extract the jar file to file dynatrace-full-darwin-x86.jar.cpgz.
Docker, VMWare, EC2, Azure, CloudFoundry
Scripts: Chef, Puppet, Ansible, PowerShell
Troubled sample apps
Source code to programs that exhibit:
The n+1 problem is when regression test finds client makes many more API calls to server.
Too many, slow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0SQL8DJxaI Online Perf Clinic – Shift-Left Performance with Spring Boot Microservices, Jenkins and Dynatrace
For infrastructure monitoring:
During the 30-day free trial period, install up to 5 distributed servers (in the cloud).
After the 30-day trial period, install only on local machines.
Use the “Add Tier” wizard.
On Apache, IIS: -agentpath:PATH/dtagent.dll=name=MyAppTier,server=collector1
Use within IntelliJ
Without changing a line of code get 100% end-to-end code-level performance visibility: Browser, Web-, App- and (No)SQL Activity
See every SQL Statement, Exception, Log message and HTTP Request detail
Provide your email to:
Dynatrace AppMon Personal & UEM ???
Two Dynatrace products have downloads:
- Application Monitoring rich client AppMon
- Data Center RUM (Real User Monitor) captures traffic and analyzes it
SaaS = Software as a Service:
- Application Monitoring Appmon web
- Synthetic Monitoring has fake users logging in, etc.
- Dynatrace adds HTTP header
- Keynote monitors what end-users experience through the public network
- Dynatrace Load
- Business Service Management
Crash Dump Analysis
https://github.com/Dynatrace/superdump (Not A replacement for in-depth analysis tools such as WinDbg.)
can be triggered via web-frontend (HTTP-upload) or via REST-API.
To send dynatrace tags
- Native Applications and Custom Protocols with Dynatrace AppMon ADK recorded November 9, 2016.
What is a Purelytics [2:51] for custom analytics on ELK stack
https://github.com/Dynatrace/Dynatrace-Elasticsearch-Plugin plugin for AppMon to fetch measures from an Elasticsearch Cluster
To view data in ES within Splunk:
Mainly high-level “smoke and mirrors” hype speak with a few technical points:
- What is Application Monitoring
- Selecting a Dynatrace Edition [3:17] Docker containers
- Reviewing the Architecture the Application Monitoring Platform, PureModel, and PureStack.
- Exploring Agent Development Kits
- Exploring Core Technologies</a>
- What is a PureStack
- What is a Pure Path
- What is UEM (User Experience Monitoring) agents traps user actions for Dynatrace Collector servers to store and evaluate.
- Understanding Components
- Exploring the Web Interface
- Planning the Deployment
- Installing Application Monitoring on Windows [9:51] v6.1.0 admin / admin
- Deploying Dynatrace Collectors
- Managing Sensors
- Managing Dynatrace Servers
- Managing System Profiles
- Working with Support - Part 2
- Managing Licenses
- Managing Memory Analysis
- Managing On Premises SaaS
You can use Dynatrace in place of or in addition to Amazon CloudWatch logging. Here are the steps:
Download the installer from Dynatrace.com.
BLAH: I wish Dynatrace have its own on S3.
This can be either/both a Windows or Linux instance.
Put the Dynatrace installer in an S3 instance so that Ansible scripts to build up a server have a stable reference.
Create a new AWS instance.
Again, this can be either a Windows or Linux instance.
Install the Dynatrace agent on the server.
Connect the agents to the Dynatrace controller so you see metrics being recorded.
Impose some artificial load on the machine to see metrics in their full glory.
Repeat the above in an automated script:
- Jankins invoked when a commit occurs to a branch on GitHub
- The Jenkins v2 Pipeline Groovy script downloads build script from GitHub
- The build downloads installers to assemble
- The build script creates image in DockerHub
- Instantiate AWS with Docker image
- Sends an email when the image is ready for use
- Start a performance testing run
- Sends SMS texts with the results of test run
- If all is well, commits into the next branch in GitHub
Protocol is protobuf
More on cloud
This is one of a series on cloud computing:
- AWS On-boarding
- AWS DevOps (CodeCommit, CodePipeline, CodeDeploy)
- AWS Lambda
- API Management by Amazon
- Dynatrace cloud monitoring
- AppDynamics cloud monitoring
- Build load-balanced servers in AWS EC2