It does your job better and faster than you can imagine
RPA (Robotic Process Automation) is the collective term for several technologies that are maturing in 2017:
- Source control (Git, GitHub, etc.)
- Configuration management (Ansible, Puppet, Chef, SALT)
- Programming Languages (Java, .NET, Ruby, Python, Bash shell, PowerShell, etc.)
- Cloud (AWS, Azure, etc.)
- Monitoring systems
- ITSM (ServiceNow, etc.)
In 2013 Frank Casale created an association to increase his consulting services:
The association provides some definitions:
An autonomic system is identified by eight characteristics:
- Knows what resources it has access to, what its capabilities and limitations are and how and why it is connected to other systems.
- Is able to configure and reconfigure itself depending on the changing computing environment.
- Is able to optimize its performance to ensure the most efficient computing process.
- Is able to work around encountered problems either by repairing itself or routing functions away from the trouble.
- Is able to detect, identify and protect itself against various types of attacks to maintain overall system security and integrity.
- Is able to adapt to its environment as it changes, interacting with neighboring systems and establishing communication protocols.
- Relies on open standards and requires access to proprietary environments to achieve full performance.
- Is able to anticipate the demand on its resources transparently to users.
Detection, correlation, and pattern recognition generated through machine based observation of human operation of software systems along with ongoing self-informing regression algorithms for machine based determination of successful operation leading to useful predictive capability.
Complex computational systems designed to:
- Sense (perceive the world and collect data),
- Comprehend (analyze and understand the information collected) and
- Act (make informed decisions and provide guidance based on this analysis in an independent way)
- Adapt (adapt capabilities based on experience) in ways comparable to the human brain.