Oh the places we go
An inventory of APIs is available from:
Below are some major ones API developers should know about:
Ebay reports $7 billion worth of sales through APIs.
Everytrail has rich information on travel sites and media about them. It returns XML. A wiki is provided.
- Capital One is a trail-blazer for banks opening up APIs.
- https://developer.spotify.com/web-api/ lets your applications fetch data from the Spotify music catalog and manage user’s playlists and saved music.
- Yahoo Flickr photos
Flickr provides an API to access images contributed by its users.
Flicker was purchased by Yahoo, which is why API keys for it are obtained through a Yahoo sign-on.
and the App Garden at:
of code using code from:
Google’s maps is the most-referenced API according to ProgrammableWeb.
- Google’s Civic Infomation API enables developers to build applications that let citizens and voters know about their political representation and voting locations. First released in 2012, it supplies official information for every state and the District of Columbia. Version 2 released in 2015 adds ballot drop-off and early voting locations.
US federal jobs
http://usasearch.howto.gov/developer/jobs.html collects jobs posted by government at several levels (federal, state, etc.).
No API is required for access.
A sample free-form query:
http://graphical.weather.gov/xml/rest.php provides weather prediction in XML.
A sample request:
Elements are described at http://graphical.weather.gov/xml/docs/elementInputNames.php
- product “time-series”
BLAH: Sample code to present the information is not provided by the site.
http://www.census.gov/developers contains a wide list of data available freely.
BLAH: Even though this site is maintained by a federal organization, not all datasets have data for the entire nation (all 50 states of the union and territories).
A sample end point for data from the 2010 census for all states:
The … above is replaced by each user’s own API key obtained from email after registration at http://api.census.gov/data/citysdk.html
US White House
https://github.com/WhiteHouse/api-standards#pragmatic-rest was created with participation by Kin Lane.
https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2014/04/wanted-simple-apis-without-authentication/ lists several.
A mashup app combines data from several Web APIs in its presentation.
More on API Microservices
This is one of a series:
- API Ecosystem
- API Portals
- API Management Evaluation
- API Management by Microsoft Azure
- GraphQL API
- GitHub API
- GitHub GraphQL API
- PowerShell GitHub API Programming
- PowerShell API Programming
- PowerShell Desired State Configuration
- API Swagger
- API Design Tools
- API Design
- REST API Responses
- Generate test code for REST API