The most popular
This article lists and evaluates templates for Jekyll, which drives GitHub.io static websites.
The structure of content (.md files) created for display using Jekyll makes it easy (with only a few edits) to switch the site to use any number of other Jekyll themes / templates.
Jekyll Theme shops
My personal favorite is:
- jekyll.tips/templates by Mike Neumegen (@mikeneumegen, CEO of @CloudCannonApp, a SaaS services provider for Jekyll)
Within the Jekyll repository on GitHub:
Premium (paid) themes so you get updates and support, for less than $30.
This is an affiliate for other sites offering the same themes for less.
Bakery-store is in GitHub but not shown in the gallery.
To see responsive websites, get to it quicker on your mobile smartphone QR code is provided for you.
Themes from Michael Rose
Content on this website was created by editing markdown text (index.md files) stored on GitHub.com. The HTML sent to your browser for display is generated from markdown using Ruby running Jekyll 3.0 rendering modifications of the minimal-mistakes theme from GitHub by Michael Rose.
Micheal blogs about his themes at https://mademistakes.com/articles/using-jekyll-2016/
A feature comparison:
|Social icons only||-||-||-||YES|
All the themes feature:
- YAML front matter in index.md files processed by Jekyll
- feed.xml generation
- Disqus support
- Use of SASS
- Theme setup page from the main menu / tab
- Links to major social sites
Installation and Generation
Michael Rose presents a concise description of how to install the minimal-mistakes theme. This post augments and clarifies it.
Begin by making a folder and populating it on my local machine.
There is both a Master branch and a Develop branch.
I don’t care about all the change history, so I click “Download ZIP” and unzip it into that folder rather than:
git clone https://github.com/mmistakes/minimal-mistakes.git
After downloading, have Maven pull in dependencies based on the Gemfile:
This causes the list of dependencies in the Gemfile to be downloaded.
Behind the scenes is a running of the Gruntfie.js that comes with the theme. It defines the parameters of various tasks that are downloaded:
- clean clears files and folders.
- jshint validates files with JSHint, based on the .jshintrc configuration file at the root folder.
- uglify minfies files with UglifyJS.
- watch runs tasks whenever watched files change.
- imagemin minifies PNG graphics files.
- grunt-svgmin minifies SVG graphics files.
NOTE: File names beginning with a dot are hidden.
- https://github.com/kriasoft/static-site-starter uses a gulpfile.js
More on front-end styling
This is one of several topics:
- Design Systems
- Text Editors
- Markdown text for GitHub from HTML
- Docusaurus static website generator
- Static websites
- JAM Stack Website Project Plan
- Jekyll Site Development
- Website styles
- Website Styling
- Email from website
- Search within Hyde format Jekyll websites
- Data Visualization using Tableau