Computers interacting with people by voices, without keyboards
This is a hands-on introduction to chatbots by various vendors.
Use case examples
Academics have identified two types of dialog systems:
1) Goal-oriented, and
2) General conversation (using “generative” and “selective” models)
XiaoIce, a chatbot Microsoft launched in China, “has more than 200 million users, has engaged in 30 billion conversations, and has an average conversation length of 23 turns, which averages out to about half an hour, achieving human parity at translation from Chinese to English. Japan-based Rinna and the US-based Zo)
The Dominos Pizza chatbot app takes users through ordering, without any human interaction.
Chat bots provide a conversational user interface where short messages are exchanged via text or voice interactions.
Some refer to Chatbots as “chatterbots” because they simulate the conversation or “chatter” of a human being. A user can ask a chatbot a question or make a command, and the chatbot responds or performs the requested action.
The computer’s fluency is made possible by recent advances in AI. Machine Learning algorithms are used to “learn” based on many previous real conversations to train it. Because Machine Learning models take into account all past history, chatbots can become better than people.
Companies working on chatbots:
Microsoft Bot Framework
Microsoft’s Azure Bot services
This is an enhanced version of instructions here
- Log into your Azure portal
- Search for a Bot Service.
New to see a choice of an Azure Bot Service Bot:
- Web App Bot is deployed to an Azure App Service Web App
- Bot Channel Registration to host wherever you want
- Functions Bot are deployed to an Azure Functions App.
- Selec Web App Bot.
- Click Create
- Bot name needs to unique among all (not just to you).
- The princing page says you get 10,000 messages per month free on Premium channels.
<a target=”_blank” href=”https://dev.botframework.com/bots/provision?createFirstBot=true Azure Bot Service</a>
Alternately, use the Bot Framework Emulator
The Bot Framework supports RIA (Rich Attachments)
Microsoft’s Connector service translates Channel JSON to Bot activities.
C# apps are created using Visual Studio 2015 on, with Visual Studio Extentions updated.
Templates are from https://aka.ms/bf-bc-vstemplate
More technical details
Chatbots usie an encoder and a decoder.
A neural conversational model - speaker embeddings.
cosine similarity function of
This is one of a series on AI, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Robotics, and Analytics:
- AI Ecosystem
- Machine Learning
- Microsoft’s AI
- Microsoft’s Azure Machine Learning Algorithms
- Microsoft’s Azure Machine Learning tutorial
- Python installation
- Image Processing
- Multiple Regression calculation and visualization using Excel and Machine Learning
- Tableau Data Visualization