Create custom content on Salesforce’s Trailhead website
Salesforce is enabling other companies to create Trailhead modules with their own branding rather than “Salesforce” at the upper left corner.
So I’ve looked through the various links and put my notes and links in this sequence.
The key areas of learning envisioned by Salesforce for myTrailhead is:
- Onboarding new hires and culture/HR Awareness (“Business Value of Equality, Impact of Unconscious Mind, Diversity & Inclusion, Equality Ally Strategies)
- Product learning and enablement
- Sales Rep enablement and training (for Sales Cloud customers)
- Service Agent enablement and training (for Service Cloud customers)
- Leadership Development
Training of a company’s partners, communities, or customers are on the roadmap and not part of the initial release.
Visit the marketing page for “myTrailhead”:
Click “LEARN MORE” near the “COMING SOON” cartoon.
As of this writing (Feb 2019) it is only taking emails.
myTrailhead is targeted to be generally available in FY20 - Q1 (February 1, 2019 - April 30, 2019)* , since Salesforce’s fiscal year starts in February.
Partners can sign up here.
Scroll down to note that you’ll be able to use the various features of Trailhead:
Gamify learning with points and badges.
Individuals can showcase both private and Salesforce public content taken for employees who link or merge their accounts.
Learners can add their own sequence of trailhead modules
Managers can track employee progress through trails in Trail Tracker Salesforce app from the App Exchange.
On a Chrome browser, see the 25-minute Demo webinar by SalesforceHacker Adam Torman (@atorman) Sr. Director of Salesforce Trailhead Product Management and Vik Mediratta (@vikmediratta) Sr. Manager of Salesforce Trailhead Marketing.
NOTE: There were 2.5 Trailblazers in 2019.
Watch presentations at Dreamforce ‘18:
Trailhead Keynote: Reinvent Learning And Enablement [45:06] by Sarah Franklin, EVP & GM of Trailhead & Developer Relations
- [1:18] By 2020, 33% of skills companies hire for will be new.
Check out how Salesforce uses Trailhead - the First myTrailhead Case Study by Megan Petersen (@MeganPTweets), Director Trailhead Global Strategic Programs [20:27]
- [1:07] Josh Birk, Dev Evangelist, is the “Godfather” of Trailhead
- [6:37] 600 badges have been created for Salesforce employees using myTrailhead
Learn with Trailhead - Newbies guide by Dana Hall (@theDanaHall), Senior Manager - Trailhead Marketing
- [11:29] 4.4 years is the average tenure at a role
- [11:29] 5 years is the half-life of a learned skill
- [1:18] By 2020, 33% of skills companies hire for will be new.
Take a 3 hrs 39 min. trailhead module “Get your company started with Trailhead” : Create a culture of learning at your company. Learn how to get started today with Trailhead.
See the FAQ at:
Making Your Own - Deliverables
Define budget and rationale for costs.
PROTIP: Companies have to pay to use myTrailhead with add-on to existing “standard” (not free Developer) Salesforce licenses (Sales Cloud, Service Cloud, or Platform) on Enterprise Edition or above. There is a single license type for both learners and publishers.
Specify the need for translation.
5 languages in addition to English (French, German, Japanese, Mexican Spanish, and Brazilian Portuguese) is supported at launch.
PROTIP: Ask me about translation services and use of Artificial Intelligence.
Reserve the domain name to be used in the URL to access the learning.
Define dominant and auxilliary colors (in RGB)
<meta content='#ffffff' name='msapplication-TileColor'> < <meta content='#ffffff' name='theme-color'>
Craft corporate logo (SVG file) at the upper left is 200x200 pixels at 72x72 resolution:
<link href='/apple-touch-icon-57x57.png' rel='apple-touch-icon' sizes='57x57'> <link href='/apple-touch-icon-60x60.png' rel='apple-touch-icon' sizes='60x60'> <link href='/apple-touch-icon-72x72.png' rel='apple-touch-icon' sizes='72x72'> <link href='/apple-touch-icon-76x76.png' rel='apple-touch-icon' sizes='76x76'> <link href='/apple-touch-icon-114x114.png' rel='apple-touch-icon' sizes='114x114'> <link href='/apple-touch-icon-120x120.png' rel='apple-touch-icon' sizes='120x120'> <link href='/apple-touch-icon-144x144.png' rel='apple-touch-icon' sizes='144x144'> <link href='/apple-touch-icon-152x152.png' rel='apple-touch-icon' sizes='152x152'> <link href='/apple-touch-icon-180x180.png' rel='apple-touch-icon' sizes='180x180'> <link href='/android-chrome-192x192.png' rel='icon' sizes='192x192' type='image/png'> <link href='/site.webmanifest' rel='manifest'> <link color='#ffffff' href='/safari-pinned-tab.svg' rel='mask-icon'> <link href='/favicon-32x32.png' rel='icon' sizes='32x32' type='image/png'> <link href='/favicon-16x16.png' rel='icon' sizes='16x16' type='image/png'>
Craft the banner page image.
Trailheads by Category
Define what each persona (job category) needs to know.
Use the Salesforce Trail Mixer app to define the sequence (trail) learning path for each group of employees.
PROTIP: Try to use the same set of personas that Salesforce uses.
Category Trailmix</td> 1. Salesforce Marketing Manager Trailmix 2. Salesforce Sales Manager Trailmix 3. Salesforce Business Analyst Trailmix 4. Salesforce Administrator Trailmix 5. Salesforce Developer Trailmix </table> 6. Salesforce Technical Architect Trailmix
NOTE: myTrailhead publishers can leverage public Trailhead content as a starting point for own custom trails.
- Create repository in GitHub or other version control system.
Define folder structure, file types, naming conventions.
Read the Medium articles listed at “Go Behind the Scenes with Trailhead’s Writers”
Read the page Partner myTrailhead
Use Trail Maker to convert and format content for use on myTrailhead.
For each persona, define trails and modules (curriculum) titles
PROTIP: Use a matrix to specify when different personas can take the same modules.
Note that Salesforce itself has 119 trails at last count.
- Tag each module’s level from Beginner to Intermediate to Advanced.
- Define module names and descriptions.
Design reward badge images.
PROTIP: Badge images are stored at __ x __ pixels, ___ per pixel, in .png format.
Design “bite-sized” learning. What are the critical skills?
Embed videos within HTML iFrames by providing the link to videos in “free” YouTube or $150+ a month Vidyard.com.
Use the Trail Checker app to build interactive quizzes to assess skills, so employees will get immediate feedback and points for getting the answers correct.
This makes learning “competency based”.
- Build peer assessments scorecards so that managers and peers can consistently rate and reward employees for demonstrating use of skills.
Order stickers of custom badges. See “Salesforce’s Growing Sticker Addiction”
Order Trailhead hoodies on Salesforce’s store.
Order swag with corporate logo.
Define step-by-step workflows to demo/train each group of employees:
Walk through workflows and take pictures of sample screens and reports
Make announcement at each stage:
Intention and Q&A sessions with managers
Select pilot users
Announcement and “Train the trainer” pilot sessions
“Get prepared” actions and pre sign-up sessions
“Initial use”: tutorials and learning sessions
“Advanced use” tutorials and Expert sessions
VIDEO: 3 Steps for Driving myTrailhead Adoption in Your Organization by Jill McBride [18:04]
More about Salesforce
This is one of a series about Salesforce
- Salesforce Ohana (about the Salesforce organization and people)
- Salesforce Glossary (of acronyms)
- Salesforce Exhibitors (at Dreamforce)
- Salesforce Onboarding (Trailhead and IDEs)
- Salesforce Offerings (Clouds, Industries, Domains, GitHub, editions, pricing, features, versions)
- Salesforce Certifications (training and exams)
- Salesforce Projects, Superbadges, and Sample Apps
- Salesforce Project Plans
- Salesforce Jobs (within Salesforce, with partners, etc.)
- Salesforce Apps (in AppExchange)
- Salesforce Alexa
- Salesforce Heroku (external apps)
- Salesforce Non-Profit support
- Salesforce Data Management
- Salesforce Einstein
- Salesforce Selenium (test automation)
Tutorials under construction (listed alphabetically):
- Salesforce Apex programming
- Salesforce Apex Testing
- Salesforce APIs
- Salesforce Automation
- Salesforce Bolt
- Salesforce Customization (objects, fields, page layouts)
- Salesforce Field Service
- Salesforce Inbox
- Salesforce IoT
- Salesforce Lightning UX
- Salesforce Mobile
- Salesforce NPSP (Non-Profit Success Pack)
- Salesforce Reporting & Analytics (Custom Reports)
- Salesforce Security
- Salesforce Selling Success Factors
- Salesforce Visualforce