To get recognized for your knowledge, skills, and persistance
- Job Roles
- Partner valued certifications
- Sequence of certifications
- Exam Lifecycle
- Exam Results
- Salespeople (user) certification
- Marketing certification
- Administrator certification
- Developer certification
- Solution Consultant certification
- Designer certification
- Technical Architect
- Social media
- More about Salesforce
This page contains the list of resources about certification for each role:
Since multiple certifications are a “thing” among Saleforce practioners, here is a list of how many exams there, by job title:
|1.||1||Sales professional (user)||$90,275|
The Average salary are from Career Pathways from an unknown point back in time. Use it as relative comparisons.
Partner valued certifications
The most “valuable” certifications to hold are those which Salesforce requires its Partners to employ people holding these certifications:
- Platform Developer I
- Sales Cloud Consultant
- Service Cloud Consultant
- Community Cloud Consultant
- Marketing Cloud Consultant
- Pardot Consultant Specialist
- Commerce Cloud Digital Developer
Sequence of certifications
Dashed lines represent optionals. Orange boxes highlight Application Architect certifications. Green boxes highlight System Architect certifications.
PROTIP: Consider your career objectives and personal lifestyle to see how to fit in certification preparation. It takes perseverance and sacrifice, such as taking time away from movies, sports, going out, or other diversions. Are you willing to watch certification videos instead of watching TV?
PROTIP: Bone-conducting headphones enable you to listen without disturbing others while you drive or walk around.
Prepare to take exams remotely on your own computer by downloading and installing Kryterion’s Sentinel Secure software.
Register at webassessor.com (SU18)
PROTIP: You need to use a different email address than what you used to register for ASQTB or any other exams also offered by Webassessor. Crazy, I know, but that’s what they’re doing.
PROTIP: Exams fees are half-off at Dreamforce conferences. For example, pay $99 instead of $200. Be sure to sign up under the Dreamforce category rather than the normal item. Retake fees are $100.
Link your Trailhead and Webassessor accounts.
BLAH: Different emails must be used in Trailhead and Webassessor accounts.
PROTIP: When selecting a day to take the exam, consider https://www.biorhythm-calculator.net to pick positive days and not days when a line crosses over 0 or at the bottom.
If you use a test center, pick a Kryterion test center near you. Bring 2 forms of ID (drivers license and credit card)
PROTIP: Write down the code generated on the exam confirmation email in a card in your wallet because you may not be able to retrieve your email at the testing center (due to bad internet service, battery running out, etc.).
PROTIP: If you select remote, select the Time Zone. Don’t wait for the spinner icon.
Sign up for the Cert Status Request to receive an email that provides you with a list of all credentials you hold, your required release exams, and due dates.
After passing the first exam, ask to join the Salesforce Certified Professionals community private group.
When it’s time, prepare for and take Recertification exams to maintain each of your certs.
PROTIP: Effective with the Summer ‘18 release cycle, the Administrator, Platform App Builder and Platform Developer I maintenance exams join Marketing Cloud Email and Social Specialist maintenance exams on Trailhead. They will then be free.
Other maintenance exams will migrate to Trailhead by Feburary, 2019. See Exam FAQ.
- Trail: Maintain Your Salesforce Certification [2 hrs]
After the exam I got an email from email@example.com with subject “Your Salesforce Certification Exam Results”. Strangely, the email does not present a total grade, just percentage of each section.
To calculate my summary score at the Administrator exam, I created this Google spreadsheet:
The summary score calculation is at the lower-right corner. I manually changed font color to red for sections which I need to study further.
PROTIP: If you want to calculate your own score, in the email you got, highlight and copy the lines under “Section-Level Scoring:”, open this Google spreadsheet, and paste in cell A2, replacing the sample.
NOTE: To extract the percentage number from text in column A into a number in the “Score” column, I used formula
=REGEXEXTRACT(A2,"[^ ]+$") in each row of column B.
Salespeople (user) certification
- Trail: Get to Know Marketing Cloud [1 hr 30 mins]
For $200 each, answer 65% of 60 multiple-choice/multiple-select questions in 105 minutes.
The score emailed to you is summarized at the lower-right corner.
PROTIP: If you want to calculate your own score, in the email you got, highlight and copy the lines under “Section-Level Scoring:” and paste in cell A2, replacing the sample.
To prepare for the first Administrator exam:
- Trail: Force.com Admin Beginner [8 hrs 35 mins] topics are structed according to the above list.
- Free ExamTopics.com online exam ADM-201
Platform App Builder
Official PDF - Salesforce Certified Platform App Builder does not require programming.
- Security and Access 20%
- Extending custom objects and apps 8%
- Auditing and monitoring 6%
- Sales cloud applications 10%
- Service cloud applications 10%
- Data management 10%
- Content management 3%
- Change management 10% [module]
- Analytics, reports, and dashboards 10%
- Process automation 13%
- Trailhead Module: Admin Intermediate [14 hrs] uses point-and-click formulas, data security, etc.
- Trailhead Module: Setup and Manage Salesforce Communities [440 pages from Spring ‘17’]
- Trailhead Module: Community Rollout Strategy [1 hr 40 mins]
- BOOK: Mastering Salesforce CRM Administration March 2017 by Rakesh Gupta
- Free ExamTopics.com online exam ADM-211
Administrator Certification Maintenance exam:
- Administrator Certification Maintenance (Summer ’18) [20 minutes] covers changes in Sales and Analysis, plus Service and Communities.
Many resources address content for both courses:
http://www.shellblack.com/administration/how-to lists many admin videos
Project Based Salesforce Admin & Adv Admin Hands-On Training 104 lectures in 15 hours by Archana Rajendran
Follow on Twitter:
(which includes database administrators):
Official PDF - Certified Salesforce Platform Developer I (PD1) was previously the “DEV401” exam called “Certified Force.com Developer”.
- Trail: Commerce Cloud Functional Architect
- Trail: Develop for Commerce Cloud
- Trail: Sell Everywhere with Commerce Cloud
Some exam resources address content for both courses:
http://certification.salesforce.com/developers focuses on declarative configuration rather than programming.
Lightning Platform Fundamentals is the “Bible” for Salesforce developer certification questions. It has “Try it” hands-on exercises to develop a Recruitment app. Its January 2015 version 9 online contained 402 pages, and was called “Force.com” instead of “Lightning”.
Salesforce offers classes:
SalesforceU’s Instructor-led course: Programmatic Development Using Apex and Visualforce(DEV450)
DEV401 (Building Applications with Force.com and Visualforce classic UI)
DEV501 involves Apex coding
Trailmix for Developers consists of several Trailhead modules.
Other exam prep. offerings:
Udemy: Salesforce Developer Training for Platform Developer 1 exam 88 lectures in 13 hours by Deepika Khanna
Salesforce Developer Practice Exam For 2018 2 practice tests, 75 questions each for $34.99 by Inspiring Generations Academy
Solution Consultant certification
These are $200 each, addressing each product line (except Knowledge Cloud, Marketing Cloud, and Service Cloud):
- Trail: Discover Advanced Service Cloud Features
- Trail: Discover Service for Small Business with Service Cloud Essentials
- Trailmix by Zak Khan: Service Cloud Certification Fast Path
- Trailmix by Kimberly King: Service Cloud Prep
Trailhead Modules related to Service Cloud Functionalities:
- Scheduling and optimization
- Resource management
- Asset management
- Inventory management
- Work Order and Service Appointments lifecycle management
- Contract, entitlements, and warranty
Quoting and invoicing
- Trail: Get on the Road with Field Service Lightning
Resources addressing the above exams:
These are $400 each addressing specific aspects of architecture:
The highest level of certification costs $6,000 plus travel to a Salesforce office to sit in front review board for 4 hours, with 45 minutes to present.
PROTIP: The format of what is presented are useful as mental models for newbies to keep in mind as they get an understanding of key aspects of Salesforce systems. VIDEO: Mock CTA Presentation - Laptops for Schools with Gemma Emmett
- Actor, License, Objects/Functionality
- [4:11] Role Hierarchy (internal and external)
- [5:23] System Landscape
- [8:15] Org. Strategy
- [8:33] SSO
- [11:12] Data Model (of objects), archival
- [20:47] Integrations
- [29:39] Functionality Customer Onboarding (schools, corporations, 3rd parties)
- [30:00] Functionality Transactions
PROTIP: Beware of the age of each resource, the version each training class was created. Salesforce is undergoing rapid change in branding (to Lightning and DX plus Einstein).
More about Salesforce
This is one of a series about Salesforce
- Salesforce Ohana (about the Salesforce company, offices, mascots, emojis, and store)
- Salesforce Glossary (of acronyms)
- Salesforce Events (Conferences, local Meetups, ) to meet people face-to-face
- Salesforce Exhibitors (at Dreamforce)
- Salesforce Onboarding (Trailhead and IDEs)
- Salesforce Offerings (Clouds, Industries, Domains, GitHub, editions, pricing, features, versions)
- Salesforce Certifications (training and exams)
- Salesforce Projects, Superbadges, and Sample Apps
- Salesforce Project Plans
- Salesforce Jobs (within Salesforce, with partners, etc.)
- Salesforce Apps (in AppExchange)
- Salesforce Alexa
- Salesforce Heroku (external apps)
- Salesforce Non-Profit support
- Salesforce Data Management
- Salesforce Einstein
- Salesforce Selenium (test automation)