Automates testing on top of Selenium, Cucumber
This is a hands-on succinct introduction to using Katalon’s comprehensive toolset for both exploratory and scripted (automated) testing. Use it to test Web and mobile UI (Katalium). It tests both SOAP and RESTful APIs. It enables BDD Cucumber to express test scenario in natural language.
Katalon leverages open-source browser control engines Selenium for web UI and Appium for mobile UI.
It’s marketing website is katalon.com. The product is rated well against its competitors.
Ketalon began in 2017.
Katalon Studio was named a March 2019 Gartner Peer Insights Customers’ Choice for Software Test Automation, with more than 450 positive reviews, shows the tool is now one of the biggest players in the market against:
- TOSCA from Tricentis
- UFT (Unified Functional Testing) from Micro Focus (formerly HP and Mercury)
- TestComplete from SmartBear
- Ranorex Studio
- Telerik Test Studio
- Rational Functional Tester from IBM
NOTE: Coded UI Test is no longer offered by Microsoft as of 2019.
Sign-up and client install
Available on macOS, Windows, and Linux.
Create an account by signing up at:
Katalon Studio Enterprise (KSE) is a paid IDE with exclusive features, basic support, all Katalon plugins, and options to activate offline.
Katalon Runtime Engine (RE): is a paid CLI console to execute “TestOps” in CI/CD infrastructures or via the command-line interface with options to activate offline. Compatible with KS and KSE. All console executions require the Runtime Engine.
PROTIP: To make it easier to upgrade, instead of clicking “Download” on the website, install the GUI app using a package manager.
On MacOS, after installing Homebrew:
brew install –cask katalon-studio
Katalon Studio (KS) is a free IDE with no limitations on quota but no support after online activation.
Studio Plug-ins from Katalon Store
Scroll down https://www.katalon.com/download for the sequence of next one-time actions.
test case libraries, keywords, and object repositories.
Extend capabilities by adding plugins from store.katalon.com
contains ready-made templates
https://github.com/katalon-studio-samples/katalon-studio-demos with POM and BDD
Sample app https://github.com/katalon-studio-samples/calculator
Katalon Recorder records, plays, debugs, manages automated tests and exports to C#, Java, Ruby, Groovy, or Python, Robot framework.
Katalon Store In-depth views of reports on https://analytics.katalon.com/index.html Katalon Analytics
Katalon Studio is the cloud-based webapp that provides in-depth views of test execution in visualization of charts, graphs, and metrics.
More on DevOps
This is one of a series on DevOps:
- ci-cd (Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery)
- User Stories for DevOps
- Git and GitHub vs File Archival
- Git Commands and Statuses
- Git Commit, Tag, Push
- Git Utilities
- Data Security GitHub
- GitHub API
- Choices for DevOps Technologies
- Pulumi Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
- Java DevOps Workflow
- AWS DevOps (CodeCommit, CodePipeline, CodeDeploy)
- AWS server deployment options
- Cloud services comparisons (across vendors)
- Cloud regions (across vendors)
- Azure Cloud Onramp (Subscriptions, Portal GUI, CLI)
- Azure Certifications
- Azure Cloud Powershell
- Bash Windows using Microsoft’s WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux)
- Azure Networking
- Azure Storage
- Azure Compute
- Digital Ocean
- Packer automation to build Vagrant images
- Terraform multi-cloud provisioning automation
Hashicorp Vault and Consul to generate and hold secrets
- Powershell Ecosystem
- Powershell on MacOS
- Jenkins Server Setup
- Jenkins Plug-ins
- Jenkins Freestyle jobs
- Docker (Glossary, Ecosystem, Certification)
- Make Makefile for Docker
- Docker Setup and run Bash shell script
- Bash coding
- Docker Setup
- Dockerize apps
- API Management Microsoft
- Scenarios for load
- Chaos Engineering